Last week we celebrated D’s birthday. We had just arrived at
the steakhouse when I received a text from one of his coworkers asking if we
would go out later that night to celebrate. I was not opposed to it so a few
hours later we met up with a few of his friends.
In some ways it was déjà vu. When we first got married, he
would bring me out with him after work to meet up with “the boys” for drinks.
Other days it was for a bite to eat at Chipotle. Either way, we always ended up
staying for hours just talking about their jobs. At first, everything they
talked about went in one ear and out the other. What did I know about cables,
cameras, mics or replays? I barely knew how media production even worked. It
was like a foreign language. I would nod every now and then and pretend to be
interested. However, after a few years of this I began to pick up on some
things, like how they got “crewed” for a show. What positions there were
(utility, camera op, A2, A1, RO, lead tape, AD, TD, director, producer…the list
goes on), what their job description was (for example utility-you better know
how to wrap a cable right!), what types of shows they were on (anywhere from
sports to corporate shows to festivals…you name it) etc. Now, 6 years later and
here I am, pretty proud of myself for knowing some basics so that I can insert
a comment here and there and remain a part of their conversations. It’s amazing
how much I have learned about their work by just sitting back and listening.
Being married to a freelancer is one of the hardest
things in my life. I probably sound like a broken record. You maybe have even heard me bitch once or twice about it. As a wife, you truly never know what will get thrown your way. Whether it’s
a phone call from D the day before a family event saying something like “sorry,
I told someone I’d cover for them so I can’t make it to your family’s
thanksgiving.” Or knowing you will be attending the majority of your friends’
weddings dateless and alone because there’s no way he’s going to give up a day
of work. It might even be something along the lines of he forgot it was your
wedding anniversary and he booked himself a gig for the evening, or “I can’t
plan anything for the holidays it’s only October!”
Being flexible in
this working lifestyle is by far one of the most important things I have ever
learned since I started dating D. You, as a wife, a significant other, will get
your feelings hurt. Your plans are constantly changing. And, you are alone 80%
of the time. Yet, when you take a step back and look at the big picture, you see that you are with one of the hardest working, motivated, and intelligent people on
the planet. Really, I’m not just saying that because I am bias (well maybe a little, I mean, he has a cute ass..) and he’s
my husband. It’s not just him, almost everyone in this business has a similar work
ethic. I have a respect for them that I sometimes cannot express in words. They
get excited about their job, they love what they do, literally over 95% of the
time, and even if they have issues or something to complain about (which is
rare) it’s never an option to quit. Their pros outweigh any con that they might
have. I have seen more than one person work from the ground up, and it is
incredible watching their growth and the work that they do. I wish every career
and occupation had people like them working as hard as they do.
As difficult as it can be to be married to a guy like D, in
a career like his, I would take him any day over someone who did not care about
where they were going or what they were doing. I may have to attend a wedding
solo, or go to family functions alone, and my friends and family may never
truly understand, but at least I know we’re going somewhere in life. I have a
pretty great husband working hard for our future. When I married him, I married
his job. This industry can be brutal, but to be able to watch him and listen to
him get excited about his work, hear pride in his voice over his accomplishments,
makes every single sleepless night alone worth it. If he’s happy, why not be
happy too? For sure, that’s easier said than done, but it’s hard not to be
happy for them when you start to understand how freelance works, and what they actually
do.
No comments:
Post a Comment