Thursday, September 12, 2013

Work does not end...when they come home.

Since summer ended, and fall sports began it has been a hectic few weeks trying to find time to spend with D. Yesterday I started my 5 day stretch off (life of a nurse has it's perks sometimes) and without fail, Tuesday was the beginning of D's 5 day stretch of work. I wish I could say this is a rare occasion but it is NOT. This happens almost every year, sometimes even during the summer. I've been with my husband long enough to know this should be the norm and I should get used to it. But then again, why should I? I hate it.

Last night after a 15 hour plus day at work, my husband told me he still had work to do. Ugh! Exactly what I was thinking (and may have even complained about on Twitter). It was midnight. I had already stayed up waiting for him to come home. Now, I am sitting in bed and he's telling me he still has work to do. "It will only take 10 minutes." I roll my eyes, because I know it will be longer than that. He's a perfectionist. Nothing gets done in 10 minutes. Not even sex. Half an hour later, he finally rolls into bed. We cuddle and chat for a bit, but that is all because I know he's exhausted. I do not want him to get sick. With all these long days and few hours of sleep his immune system is at risk. And within minutes, he's snoring in my ear.

I know I should be grateful for a hard working husband. I know I should be happy he isn't sitting on his butt, playing video games, or even going out to the bars. But sometimes I just want to have my husband back. I want that person I fell in love with. The guy who wanted to spend every day with me. The person who took me on dates, and made me laugh. Sometimes D tells me "I have all these days off next week" or "just wait until summer when nothing is going on" well some days I think...will that just wait be too late? Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment