Thursday, June 20, 2013

What Not to Ask...

Every time someone asks me what my husband does for a living I have to pause for a second before answering.

Why can't my answer be something easy like, "he's a doctor" or a "businessman" no, no. It always is a struggle to find the right words to describe him, and it usually starts with "he works free lance..." Of course then I get the blank stare and I have to go on to explain the details of my husband's job.

This of course comes with their false understanding by the follow up comment, "oh, you mean he's the guy on TV" or "the announcer guy, right?"

Oh goodness no. My reply?  "Uh...well no, not exactly. He's the guy behind the scenes...he's the guy wrapping cable..."  or "...shooting the show with a camera..." and sometimes I even add that "...he's in the truck editing and working on the replays, or directing."

By this time I know I have really lost them. How much more in depth can I go to make them understand? And now I've just thrown the word truck at them. I can see their faces, they're more confused then when I started with my classic "he works freelance" line. Oh crap.

The next question they always ask is "Do you get free tickets to the show?" (or whatever it is he's working that day) Of course not! And, even if I did, I would never tell anyone because then everyone and their cousin would be asking us for freebies. Does anyone understand how rude that sounds? I guess not. Only if you work in free lance.

So now that I've gotten all of that out on the table, they nod their heads and mumble something like, "Oh that's cool. He must love his job." Of course he loves his job, why would anyone want a crazy schedule like he has if he didn't? "Or they say, "he's so lucky to go to all the games/concerts/whatever it is that he's doing that day." Oh he's lucky alright...10 hour days turning into 17+ hour days, and I never get to see him. He's so lucky.

In summary, asking me about my husband's job is fine, but seriously, be prepared to listen to a long winded explanation, and please, don't expect to understand after it is all said. You won't. I've been married to him for a few years, and I still don't. But thanks for asking!

No comments:

Post a Comment